Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fast Fill vs Slow Fill....Home Refueling Options

When we use a CNG refueling station, the gas is pumped into the tank at a rapid pace so that we don't spend all day at the pump.  This is known as a "fast fill".  We have previously learned that due to temperature changes creating volume changes that there is a decrease in pressure once the CNG is pumped into the tank to 3,600 psi.  This makes the fast fill less efficient in achieving the goal of getting the most CNG into the tank per fill.  As a result, we end up filling up with greater frequency which is a hassle as well as more expensive in that we burn unnecessary fuel going to and from the pump.



There is a "slow fill" option out there.  With a slow fill, the CNG is slowly pumped into the tank.  These pumps, depending on the model, flow at rates from 1/2 to 3 or more GGE per hour.  This allows for the most efficient filling of the tank because the change in pressure is negated by the time involved in filling the tank.  These are available as a home refueling option, which has significant advantages over fast filling.  The cost of CNG from the home is much less expensive than that which has been obtained via a CNG refueling station.  There is also a 50% tax credit for all newly installed home refueling equipment.

I do not have natural gas at my home, so I did not do a great deal of research on the possibility given my unique situation.  In researching for this post, I ran across some questions that I would have to reconcile before I personally made this sort of investment.

1.  I cannot find a local installer and more importantly a maintainer of these products.
2.  The least expensive home refueler is around $4,000, plus installation.  True there is a 50% tax credit, but that a reasonable estimation of the actual cost would be around $3,000.
3.  In calculation potential savings and return on investment, we have to give consideration to the fact that savings comes from the difference paid at the CNG pump versus what it actually costs to refuel at home.  The current ARKLA price for a hundred cubic feet of natural gas is around 61 cents.  To begin to translate that we need to bump it to 1,000 cubic feet, making the cost $6.10.  If you read the post explaining a GGE, you remember that it takes about 8 GGE to equal 1,000 cubic feet of gas.  This yields a price of 76 cents per GGE.  In my case, the fuel alone to refill at home would be $12.10.  Given my average 1.66 per GGE price, it costs me $26.56 at the pump.  That is a $14.46 per fill savings.  There are a couple of variables which I can't capture, but need to be considered if you are looking at a home refueler.   The first is that it costs electricity to run the home refueler.  That true cost involved depends on how much you use the refueler.  The second is that, as mentioned, it costs additional CNG to go to and from the pump.  With saving $14.46 per fill, I would save about $145 in a 30 day period or $1,740 per year.
4.  There are maintenance issues that can develop with the lower end home refuelers.  These can become rather expensive and quickly negate an entire year's savings.  The higher end models do tend to last longer, but they also cost much more.  A couple of notable options:

BRC Fuelmaker:  This is an Italian made home CNG refueling system manufacturer.  It appears that they were either purchased by or the US market is handled by Impco Technologies.  They offer several different models.  The Phill is their sort of entry level refueling device which has a few different models.  I had some difficulty finding current pricing information, but the basic model appears to run around $4,000.  There is also an added cost of prepping your installation area.  They also offer a higher end model, the FMQ series.
Here is a link to more information:  BRC Fuelmaker Info

Coltri Compressors:  Coltri is a manufacturer of SCUBA gear pumps.  They have branched into home CNG refueling and offer three different models.  My internet research shows this brand to be the most respected for reliability, but it is also more expensive.  Here is a link to one of their retailers:  Coltri Info

The decision to purchase one of these is highly individualized based upon your unique situation.  If I did have natural gas at my home, I still don't see this as a possibility for me at this time.  If my family operated more than one CNG vehicle that drove as much as I do then it might be different.   I believe that the best location for the refueling pump is on the vehicle.  I can see that technology evolving rather quickly.  Even if it doesn't, I believe that there will be enough competition among home refueler manufacturers to drive the costs down sooner than later.  By the time I would begin to get a return on investment, something much more efficient should be available.






No comments:

Post a Comment